Monday 4 July 2011

SNAAAAAAAKEEEE!!!

Today I heard a noise in the walled garden and thought it might be a strange bird. Wandering outside I was greeted by Benny. I assumed he'd caught a bunny or maybe a toad and that the poor thing was screaming in pain. What I wasn't expecting was an enormous snake. It was more than a metre long. I'm pretty sure it's a grass snake.... or anaconda or a python.
Yikes! Can't believe I didn't swear on camera. Can I have a sticker for bravery? I'm still shaking. Could've eaten the cat!!

[If you can't see the video in the email you MUST click on the post title and view online... you've got to see this]


Regardless of the heat, I may garden in very long wellies from now on.... come to think of it, where are Hubbies waders?

Do you know what? All through that experience all I could think of was 'Can I pick it up? If I do try to pick it up which end will I go for?'

Do you think there's something wrong with me? .... It was a hot day and I'd been in the sun.

I wonder if some of my summer visitors might cancel now...... mind you most of our pals are made of sterner stuff..... excepting my Dad, who has an Indiana Jones relationship with snakes..

9 comments:

  1. OK:
    1) You are a brave lass!
    2) You don't want to hear about all the vermin it eats or how it was more afraid of you.
    3)Love the sound of your voice,even when stressed. It's an Anglophile thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James: It was a very beautiful snake and we've confirmed that it is a grass snake - a female I think. Everything we do in the garden is designed to encourage wildlife.... clearly it seems to be working.

    It makes me giggle listening to my voice especially the last sigh of relief!... silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY WORD !! Forget about see it I assume that is the reptilian beast making the Darth Vader noise ! You qualify for much more than a sticker for bravery - I'd say two months in Chiva Som or some equally eco luxe resort to recover. I'm amazed how composed you were - I stand on a chair screaming if I see a snail and haven't even managed to touch the tortoise yet, after a year.....On the plus side my sons want to watch this on loop....xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belgravia Wife - sort of: Darth Vader - perfect description. OMG I even jump when I watch back the clip. Fascinating but scary.

    It upsets me that I've never even heard of Chiva Som..... sounds like a Chinese Prisoner of War Camp though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Harmless but defo scary. If you try and pick them up they excrete a vile tasting and smelling gunge from their middle (rear end) that your dog will then rub their heads in frantically, as it is better than fox poo! However, a lurcher I knew tried to kill one by picking it up and giving it whiplash. Lurcher gave up after about 50 secs when said gunge reached her mouth/nose.. she was not best pleased. Labradoodle then rolled in the resultant gungey, grungey pooey scent! You are MEANT to be hard wired to be scared of snakes. You did well. PS they also eat all your tadpoles and frogs and anything else in the pond, except the vile underwater boatmen that eat the other tadpoles and tiny froglets. Mayhap eggs too (chook variety) tho I'm not sure about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow! I love your huge sigh of relief at the end. What an incredible bit of film. I enjoyed all the peering around the plants to look at the splendid snake. Full points to Benny too for bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cripes, that cat's got guts. Forget that comment.....you've got guts to have taken that video!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have to move. Immediately. I am not countrified. Brave, brave you. The hissing alone would have had me running for the gun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd've been on the roof within 4 seconds. Would still be there.

    ReplyDelete

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon