Thursday 22 July 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes......



Two days ago the 5yo needed to see the doctor for a minor repair, he ate his lunch extra slowly not wanting to go.

'That's it,' said I; a phrase I'm fond of. '......your lunch (tuna mayo and toast) is going into the fridge and you can have it later.

..... But lunch was forgotten, for a very good reason: In a little town nearby there is the most evil shop, an olde fashioned sweet shop with tall glass jars filled with smells and promises and things to rot your teeth. After a well behaved doctor visit, we visited the den of sin and I purchased two traffic-light gobstoppers the size of the sproglet's heads! We almost had to return to the doctor after the 7yo put hers in her mouth but struggled to get it back out again. We three had a deal; they would only lick the candy (.... hopefully for the entire 9 weeks of the holidays! A bargain at 50p each.)

Later that night, long after the babies were scraped off the ceiling from their sugar-high and put to bed, I rediscovered boy's lunch and fed it to the cats.

Mid-day yesterday, as he munched a sandwich, the 5yo turned to me and said,

'Mummy, don't forget, I need the lunch I had yesterday tomorrow.'

!

I'm off now to shake the cats.

Picture courtesy of The Pink Sweet Shop

9 comments:

  1. Oh Lou, your mistake was not buying them the Fireball gobstoppers. It can put children off sweets Forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a problem. You can't really shake the cake of course. And even if you did what came out wouldn't resemble what went in. Regardless of which end it comes out food is never the same. I can say this with confidence as I have an 'A' level in biology as well as two children. On the other hand, remake the lunch and he'll grow up under the misconception that toast can be rejuvenated by putting it in the refrigerator. Something that could be as serious a heresy in years to come as the belief that you can reheat pizzas in a microwave. Best confess and leave the cat to a comfortable digestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! you write the best posts, Lou! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother Hen: Oooo Fireball Gobstoppers that sounds brilliant... will check out the dealer next time I'm in town....

    Fennie: May shake the bloody cat anyway (just for fun!) as I came into kitchen just now to find Tabby aka Peter Andre...http://archers-at-the-larches.blogspot.com/2010/05/eau-de-mouse.html eating my newly baked Madiera cake.... It had been knocked to the floor releasing it from its Tupperwear home .... Grrrrrr....

    Technodoll: Gee, thanks Mrs....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shake the cat - Wake the plink - no it was do the Shake and Cat and put the tuna back nonono I'm getting it all wrong..... Tap it and Rabbit oh FFS.... Plink Plink Fizzz.... cat in an acid bath? I'll get me coat...

    ReplyDelete
  6. MadameSmokinTommyCooper: !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, I like the idea of gobstoppers as aversion therapy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gobstoppers! I'd forgotten all about them. What a great sweetie idea for chatty youngsters. They don't call them gobstoppers for nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel: Mine have been fascinated by the layer upon layer of colours...

    Maxabella: Seemed like a good idea except it was like giving the sproglets spoonfuls of E numbers!! They were like wild-cats and way beyond the other side of giddy... Won't be doing that again in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon