Wednesday 2 June 2010

What could possibly go wrong????

Usually, when my husband is away on business, (whisper please...)... disasters happen. I won't list the disasters of the past, for fear of reminding the disaster daemons...but suffice to say they've been, pretty, damn, B. A. D!

Today however, went quite smoothly. The sun was warm. I cleaned the car and the kids washed their bikes; having ridden them through the woods yesterday with friends.


No chickens died today. No horses escaped. OK, a rabbit was murdered before our eyes by a cat, while the children and I ate dinner in the garden,....but heyho that's nature. Actually, (she sniggered) when the children saw the bunny in Ben's mouth, they politely said,

'May we be excused from the table?'

I gave the nod, mafia-like (or murphia-like really, because I'm actually Irish, well; born to an Irish mum and dad....) I watched as the two cats, one carrying a bunny almost the same size as him, were pursued around the garden by two children. They were desperate to rescue the squealing bunny. All five lashed 'round the pond, hurdled the felled conifers and navigated the stone wall onto the bridlepath! I continued to eat my chicken and coconut curry, while sipping a glass of chilled Chablis, a left-over from the weekend. It was like watching The Goodies or a Benny Hill sketch in fast motion......the cats won. Bunny died. The End....

After dinner, we three played golf till 9pm! Husband has mowed Home field so that we have a par three golf hole, (for him it's a par three! For the rest of us it's a par 99, especially if you go off the fairway, as the meadow grass is up to our knees) The green has a hole in the earth containing an inverted 2 litre pop bottle. This in turn holds a natty flag stick I made....such a talent!

... Well anyway, our game was going really well, until the cats joined in, and then the 7yo had an urgent appointment with the loo, and then the 5yo discovered enormous black slugs, that he collected on dock leaves for the chickens.... so who knows who won. These people who won't take sport seriously! Honestly! Annoying really, as I'm sure I was leading the field... and yet I'm pleased to tell you, I felt none of the urges of Mr T let's-go-down-to-the Woods!!! 'scusting, should be ashamed of himself!

As it was 9pm, there were no sproglet shenanigans regarding bed. They surrendered easily. Pretty late, even for half term. I had just one more ordeal to conquer.......The nightly electrocution.

Well, my hair is slightly frizzier but I locked the chooks down, turning on the dreaded 'leccy fence. I love/hate it.

Oh yes, there was one slight disaster, I dyed my hair. I've had many disasters with my hair in the past...another blog post entirely. But I'm too poor/mean to get the professionals to colour my hair, so I expect failure every so often. Today, instead of just slightly toning down my brassy, gold-blond, shock of madness.....I am now a brunette. Oh well gotta laugh!

Before


After



Clearly my husband's fault entirely. No question!

10 comments:

  1. Hair is for dyeing. No argument. And when it doesn't turn out quite right - turbans are great. You can wear them in Superdrug whilst you're choosing your next colour. I should know. I'm known as the Mistake Charmer me - with the Darn It Barnet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the hair change! I am in total awe of someone who can do that I'd come out looking like Hilda Ogden. Also like your savoir faire re the bunny and the careful way you carried on with your supper - I have those moments too usually involving squirrels and the dogs...I do NOT like squirrels in fact my husband has a good line in squirrel burgers (but that's another tale!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the brunette, your hair looks lovely like that - but I am def with you on the hair disasters!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. MadameSmokinGun: I've seen you in Superdrug...I knew I recognised you! Can I borrow the turban with the skull and cross bones I saw you in last month?....pleeeeeese?

    Tattie: Funny, I thought I did resemble Hilda....the early yrs of course!....just wait till I get my turban!

    The English Writer: Thank you. Actually, I too think I prefer it.... I'll post a pic of my red phase one of these days. That WAS funny ....again husband's fault!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious how things end up being caused by husbands! Sounds like you had a lovely time with the kids - even with a murder most foul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I found you. I'm going to enjoy your adventures. I am very envious of it all. If I may be so bold I think Brunettes with blue eyes are smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Cross the Pond: It was a delightful day.

    James: Welcome, I'm blushing....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer you brunette- the blonde was a little bit much for the countryside. I did a similar thing to you in reverse - from brown to peroxide and it was awful. I have been trying to rectify it for months and every time I go out in the sun it goes a kind of bizarre ginger - which it is right now - getting the dye out tomorrow.

    My motto is - it always grows out.

    I apply that to most areas of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you look really lovely as a brown, even better with a smile - wink!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a natural brunette going gray and that's OK with me. I have only one complaint however...

    ...you didn't get that chase scene on film!

    ReplyDelete

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon